International Incoming Students

Welcome Future International Students

Torontonians often boast about their multiculturalism. It’s enshrined in our city’s official motto – “Diversity Our Strength”. ​Toronto has a league of its own when it comes to countries represented, with over 250 ethnicities present in the Toronto region and 180 different dialects spoken.

This page is dedicated to answering and providing resources to frequently asked questions from an international student perspective on topics related to academic qualifications, co-op, Post-Grad Work Permit, Covid-19 testings, insurance, study permit and housing.

  1. Prospective Students

  2. Toronto Campus

  3. Are there scholarships available?
  • At this time, Northeastern does not offer scholarships for international students at the Toronto campus.
  • International students may have access to loans or scholarships through:
  1. Are there co-op placements available?
  • Please contact [email protected] for your Co-op and Experiential Network (XN) inquiries.
  1. Academic Qualifications

  2. What GPA average will I need to be considered for the Toronto programs?
  • The program admission grade varies by program, generally, the admissions team would consider anything 2.4/4.0 and above.
  1. How many years of educational background do I need?
  • We accept 3 years college degree meeting specific requirements. To evaluate your eligibility please email [email protected].
  1. Do I need to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) exam?
  • No, all College of Professional Studies programs do not require the GRE examination.
  • For additional application requirements and general admission inquiries, please visit here.
  • To start your application today, visit the College of Professional Studies page here.
  1. Application Inquiry

  2. How long will it take to receive the offer?
  • The official offer time varies depending on the program, on average, it takes about 3-4 weeks to receive an offer.
  1. Where can I check my application status?
  1. Post-Grad Work Permit (PGWP)

  1. Are the programs at Northeastern University—Toronto PGWP eligible?
  • Yes, all the programs at Northeastern University—Toronto are eligible for PGWP.
  1. Will I be able to obtain 3 years of  PGWP?
  1. Do I need previous work experience?
  • No, work experience is not a mandatory requirement.
  1. Pre-Arrival in Canada

  2. Campus Life

  3. What facilities are available on campus?
  • At the Toronto campus, we have a large open communal area for students to mingle, study and relax. We also have study areas available on a first-come-first-serve booking basis. Take a look at the virtual Toronto campus tour here.
  1. What services are available to students to enhance their learning experience?
  • Our CPS Co-op and Career Advisors are always available in person and virtually upon request to support our students on their educational and professional journey.
  1. Pre-Arrivals Checklist

  2. To help us provide effective support, please do the following before departing for Canada…
  3. → Review the Pre-Arrival Checklist and register your travel with OGS Canada
  • No matter where you plan to travel, make sure you check the Travel Advice and Advisories page for your destination twice: once when you are planning your trip, and again shortly before you leave.
  • Insurance

  1. Where do I purchase health insurance?
  • Northeastern University has arranged full coverage for our students with You will need to purchase your insurance before arriving. This provides access to your health insurance needs, policy information and will let you manage your account, submit claims, and track the status of those claims.
  1. Travel

  2. What do I need to know before travelling and how do I register my travel?
  • Before joining us on campus, you will need to ensure you have prepared a few things which you can find in the Toronto Checklist provided by OGS Canada.
  1. Do you have on-campus housing or residency?
  • Unfortunately, the Toronto campus does not have any on-campus or residences but our arrivals team will be able to recommend suitable living arrangements that best fit your needs. We also have a student group on Yammer where students can post co-rent inquiries. Additionally, you can learn more about the estimated Toronto living expenses including food, clothing, local transportation, books and supplies.
  1. Study Permit

  2. How do I receive my co-op permit?
  • Instructions on how to apply for your Study Permit will be sent to you with your Proof of Acceptance (POA), or see this PGWP webpage for more information. Apply for your Co-op Work permit at the same time as your Study Permit, or you may apply once you arrive in Canada.
  1. Studying in Canada, Post Arrival

  2. Study Permit

  3. How do I apply for study permit extensions?
  • Please monitor the expiration date of your study permit. You must apply to extend your study permit before the expiration date. To extend your study permit, visit the extension process found on the IRCC website.
  1. How do I apply for PGWP?
  • To apply for PGWP, directly go to the IRCC website where you will find eligibility details, exceptions, passport expiry and special cases.
  1. How do I change my designated learning institution (DLI)?
  1. How do I apply for a co-op work permit?
  1. How do I invite my spouse, common-law partner or dependent children to come to Canada?
  • Review all the requirements here to allow your spouse, common-law partner or dependent children to come with you or visit you in Canada.
  1. Insurance

  2. What is the process to apply insurance coverage for my dependents?
  • If you are an international student and have been enrolled in the plan, you can apply for coverage for your dependents here.
  1. How do I make an insurance claim?
  • You can submit your claims online as long as you have your scanned receipts and medical records.
  • If you are an international student and have been enrolled in the plan, you can apply for coverage for your dependents.